Monday, September 3, 2007

The Bakery in Kortrijk
Lost in Luxembourg
Our hotel room in Switzerland
A sweet town in Switzerland
A guy walking a cow in a town in Switzerland

Sorry about the long hiatus, but I have been without internet for the past few days. We did a World Cup race in Switzerland last week called the GP Ruebliland. The drive was long, and the racing was tough, but the country was probably the most awesome place I have ever been. The landscape, architecture, towns, and everything was just super cool. We had four stages-three road stages and one time trial. In the first stage, one of my teammates and I were going for GC, but we missed out on the large break of the day, which ended up getting five minutes up the road. After that the pack was careful to let anything go. So the rest of the races were pretty tame, with the tt being my best result in 24th place, I was a little disappointed with it. The final road stage was my time to shine, and I got in the split of around 15-20 over the big climb of the day, but on the descent, one of my spokes broke. I didn't even hit a bump. Just boom. So I tried to ride it, and sat on the back of the break for around a kilometer or two with a super out of true wheel, and by the time I finally got a wheel change the pack had already flown by me and I had to chase back on. I reintegrated after a short time, and just finished in the pack. Unfortunately, the winning move of the day went out of the group I was in, but it was still awesome because my teammate Grant ended up finishing second on the day, an excellent result for team USA. The race had some of the toughest climbs I have ever raced on a bike, and was super fun. We stayed at an awesome hotel that made us really good breakfasts every single morning we were there.
The team arrived back in Izegem last night and we have a 5 day break until the next race. Today we went to the coastal city of Oostende, and roamed around the town for a few hours. We rented a 4 person bike, went to a Gelateria, and a good bakery. Tomorrow we go to Brugge to ride on the track, and then see the sights for a little after that. The past few weeks have been quite the adventure. See you all soon.

Larry

2 comments:

Larry3 said...

Great Blog, but have your friends take some more pictures of you in Belgium. How about some at the track in Brugge? Switzerland sound fantastic. Hope you get a condo there and invite us over.

jkwarbasse said...

Larry,
I'm glad you are having such a great trip! Take more pictures and post them on your blog. We miss you!